Monday, January 15, 2007

Intro thing

Hey guys, I'm Tara.

I'm either a first semester junior or a second semester sophomore, depending on how you count it, and I'm a bio major and Italian/Blount undergraduate minor. I really like the fantasy genre, though I'm pretty much stuck on "pure fantasy" or "high fantasy," and I've actually written two of my own (not published, of course). Some of my favorite fantasy writers are David Eddings, Jacqueline Carey, Melanie Rawn, Piers Anthony, Jennifer Fallon, Sara Douglass...and I'm going to stop there, because this list could get pretty long.

As for what defines fantasy, I think it's all in the setting. A fantasy story is one in which the characters' environment is completely controlled by the author, whether it's the real world modified or a completely created one. In everything else, the writer is pretty much constrained by natural law or history. As soon as you step outside those bounds, you step into fantasy.

That being said, I don't think fantasy novels have to include magical or supernatural aspects, and I'm not fond of the idea that they have to be illogical. In fact, I think a novel is more solid when it provides a logical explaination for what's going on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with novels being stronger when they make some amount of sense. I guess Ms. Link missed this memo though..

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home