Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I just finished Agate Beach, and I really enjoyed it. My one real question is: what do you think happened at the end? Did Marsha die or become one of them?

Personally, I think she died--I like the story better that way, but I can see it both ways. The pendant the boy gave her had runes on it for protection and air under water, things like that, that make it seem plausible that she could have become one of them and lived on under the water, but at the same time, I think her dying fits the tone of the story better, and for me is a more satisfying conclusion.

Yes, I am morbid. Thoughts? XD

4 Comments:

Blogger Keith Weber said...

I don't know about the ending, but as a CS major, I found serious flaws in her taking her laptop to the freaking BEACH!!! I mean, come on. How much trouble can one person ask for?

4:09 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Lol, you sound like my family, keith: "You took your laptop where???"

Anyway, I personally think she did die. Also, I think the kid lied to her about the runes, both on the necklace and on the pincushion (though, admittedly, I don't think it mentioned whether she took the pins out or not).

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she drowned. Maybe the merepeople or whatever they were had an infantile desire for a mother/wife figure, but, maybe unintentionally, they can't seem to keep one for the whole drowning thing. But maybe, like someone in class said, the death of the mortal body was required for Marsha to join the boy and his family in the sea.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Tiffiny Harris said...

I am thinking that she probably died in the human sense of dying, but that she became one of them. I mean why go through all of the trouble of drawing her in and capturing her? Plus, at one point in the story the little boy told Marsha she should go back to her house because the tide was getting too high. If he simply wanted her to drown, why warn her of the danger?

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home