Monday, February 19, 2007

Years Best

I just finished with the readings for this week and am wondering about the end of "Scribble Mind." I didn't believe that she Remembered either, but Pat said he could tell because the daughter Gina wouldn't come within eight feet of Esme. Was Pat saying that the daughter Remembered and wasn't associating with Esme because Esme couldn't Remember? Or that Esme was lying about something else? The Scribble Mind and Incident at Agate Beach were my favorites. I think that the Incident at Agate Beach relates to the paper topic about how the water is kind of a thin place with all the supernatural elements that take place in the story. I also was interested in all of the different names the boy used for himself.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

I think Esme was lying about not remembering...but I don't know why Gina wouldn't come near her...Maybe it was an effect of something the Imposter Dorphin did to her before Pat got to her apartment...but I'm not sure.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Tiffiny Harris said...

Oh, and also about the Scribble Mind story, I know we've talked about how a lot of movies relate to the material we cover in class and the whole obsession over finding the scribble everywhere reminded me of the previews for the new movie "Number 23" and how the guy in that movie finds the number 23 all over the place.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I thought he said she was lying about Remembering, not lying about not Remembering...

I have no idea what the significance of the kid was, though.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just struck by how honest the boy was with all his names. I mean, think about how much easier our interactions with others would be if we called ourselves a name based on how we were feeling at the moment..no more guessing games of whether someone's happy/sad/angry/etc. because their name for that day tells all.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Jae said...

I like the idea of the names being honest representations of how one feels that day. Much easier than just trying to guess. It seemed like the boy in general was very honest, or at least came across that way. He struck just the bright chord of childish guilelessness and creepy prescience.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home