Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I keep forgetting to mention this in class

We've been talking so much about fantasy novels being turned into films...but I keep forgetting to mention in class that bands can base their own music around fantasy stories as well. A band that does this extremely religiously is Coheed and Cambria. This band is pretty popular (and by popular I mean that I like them and they are on mtv from time to time) and since coming on the scene have created a series of albums that is also a continuous story. The story begins with the characters Coheed and Cambria and their children in a futuristic earth. The cd's are also accompainied by a series of comic books and graphic novels, and the first cd they released (The Second Stage Turbine Blade) is the second part of the five part story. Thus far they have released three studio albums (the latest one Part Four: Good Apollo I'm Burning Star Four) with the fifth installment of the story to be released soon and then they will release the final cd of the series (which is actually the beginning of the story). It all sounds very convoluted, and is...but the music is really good and the story is extremely confusing (at least to me). But you can check out their myspace page or their website, and go to the link and read the story so far (click on the about section at the top of the page). Just thought I'd throw that out there...I used to know a lot more about the story, but I haven't read it since last year and there are so many things going on it gets too hard to remember accurately.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

here's the website...i don't think it posted my link

www.coheedandcambria.com (band website)

www.cobaltandcalcium.com (story and fan website)

11:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A lot of Led Zeppelin's songs are based on Lord of the Rings. Specifically, 'Ramble On'...I didn't notice this until I read the books.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home