Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Old story, new spin

I have to admit, I was a little hesitant when I read the blurb on the back of Monstrous Regiment; quite frankly, the "girl-dressing-up-as-a-boy-to-do-something-she's-not-allowed-to story's been done to death. However, I have to admit, I really liked the way Pratchett told it. Actually, it reminded me quite a bit of the rather tongue-in-cheek humor that's characteristic of Piers Anthony, one of my favorite fantasy/sci-fi writers. I especially liked all of the sarcastic little footnotes.

Also, I really liked the whole "folk song" angle and how he worked them into "new" plot lines, even if it did remind me all too much of my sister's evil cat (she named him after "Sweet Polly Oliver," but we end up calling him Polly more than we call him Oliver). I'm halfway tempted to look up the three or four songs he mentioned that I've never heard of.

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

i would agree wholeheartedly with your idea of a new spin on an old story line, the pleasant surprises of subtle humor and satire made this story generally a fun read instead of something trite and predictable

12:55 AM  
Blogger Keith Weber said...

I really liked the drama that spun out between the girls in the squad. It did put a new light on the girl in the army routine. Normally, a girl would join up with a bunch of guys, but in this case, a bunch of girls signed up with a bunch of girls pretending to be guys. Hoorah for irony.

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home