Friday, January 26, 2007

I'm torn

I can't decide what to think about monstrous regiment. I am entertained when I read it, but I think Joel is definitely right when he says that the storytelling is not quite as smooth as the other books we have read. I also don't like the character...is it the Igor or Carbundum (if thats how you spell it I don't have my book with me) because I can't read what he's saying much of the time because of his lisp. All in all, through 100 pages I like this novel, and one thing that I do find better in this one are the awesome jokes that come in and out of the story.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Igor is the one with the lisp..I've read most of the book, and I've enjoyed it so far. It's not my favorite, but it's entertaining & definitely forces you to put some thought into pointless religious acts and the oppression of women. Odd combination, that one..

12:09 AM  
Blogger kate said...

i'm almost two hundred pages in and still haven't decided my opinion on this book either, i'm interested to see how it ends...i struggled with the first thirty to fifty pages because i kept getting the characters confused and i was still trying to get a grasp on the underlying storyline...however, i'm liking it more and more

6:00 PM  
Blogger Jae said...

This is not a literary classic. It's not one of those books that's going to become something that we'll read in future anthologies of English lit. That said, it doesn't diminish any of the enjoyment of reading it--it's light-hearted and fun, a relatively easy read for a few hours, and it still manages to make you think about some deeper issues without ever throwing them in your face and telling you, this is what you should think. Which would go against pretty much the whole message of the book, anyway: think for yourself and be who you are.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home