Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Harry Potter & Mr Norrell

I was desperately trying to find a way to incorporate Harry Potter into my paper topic and I thought about something that was similar between the two novels (although I won't be writing about it...because I think I'm going to write about the importance of prophechy in each book), but I was also thinking about each author's use of alternate history. It obviously pops up over and over in Strange & Norrell, but in Half Blood Prince, when the two ministers (muggle and minister of magic) meet at the beginning, the "other" minister talks to Fudge about the terrible things that have been happening on his end...and Fudge points out that they have both been experiencing the same events. I know it is not strictly an alternate history, but it is a parallel universe i guess, I just liked that part of the novel, thought i'd throw that out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ministry of Magic in HP reminds me of Strange and Norrel in a way. I guess it's the beuracratizing of magic or something.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

is there enough text in S&N to do a parallel of the faerie kingdom/england? if so, then you can go to HP's muggle/magic.
so it'd be a double parallel comparison.. thing..

10:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I second Megan..that would be a great topic. Comparing the faerie world and its relation to the "England" to the Muggle and Magic worlds of Harry Potter.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home