Sunday, April 15, 2007

Further discussion on Stephen Black

I know I have another post dedicated to Steven Black, but it took me a while to scroll down to it; thus, I thought it would be prudent to make a new one.

I'm almost completely convinced that Stephen Black will become the new Raven King. The further evidence that I call upon to support this is that in chapter 68 ("Yes.") when Strange and Norrell are trying to appease the Raven King, they cast a spell to make Northern England bow down to "the nameless slave." This results in Stephen Black having control of Northern England for enough time that he vanquishes the gentleman. Given the importance put on names during magic spells throughout the book (cf. the pillar of darkness), I believe that the use of the nameless slave will have some import upon the next book.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

that is really interesting, I would have never thought of that. Stephen Black's true name is that he is nameless.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

However, right after he is given control, England recognizes he is not the true Raven King and takes back its power..

10:40 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

i agree with lauren on this one...i thought it was clear that black was not the raven king...although he a nameless slave...but who knows...i'm sure there will be some crazy explanation in books to come...which i will certainly read!!!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Tiffiny Harris said...

Even though he isn't the true Raven King, I think he will rule in the next book as well. There are just too many implications in the book for something crazy like that not to happen.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jae said...

I'm with Lauren, too: while I think it will be important, likely, that Stephen is now king of a fairy kingdom, he's not the Raven King and he's no replacement for him, either.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home