Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Follow the White Rabbit...

Okay, this is completely random, but I just found a post-it note I had stuck in my copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell a few weeks ago. On pg. 267 (of the hardcover), there is a story that includes tiny people that ride white rabbits, and the first thing I thought of was Kelly Link's story Stone Animals (I think that's the correct one...) and the white rabbits in that. Then, I started thinking about white rabbits in general (of course, the one in Alice in Wonderland came to mind first, and then The Matrix), and I thought I'd check a couple of things out. I'm not sure how productive my internet search was, because most of what I found was related to old superstitions, like that saying "white rabbit" three times would make the smoke from a campfire change directions (?), etc. Anyway, I found several interesting sites, including the following blurb, but I'm not sure how credible the source is (or how relevant the information), but I thought I'd share it and my weird train of thought with everyone.

From this site:

Rabbit:
Humility, bashfulness, and caution. Associated with Earth and Moon goddesses. Rabbit's feet are lucky charms in many countries.
British: One old custom was to say as the first words of the day,"Rabbits," or, "White rabbits," three times on the first day of every month for good luck.
European: In the Middle Ages. European wedding rings often had a rabbit engraved on them to insure the newlyweds would bare many children, although the Church saw it as a symbol of lust.
Greek: Fertility and melancholy. Sacred to Aphrodite. People ate rabbit meat to gain the fertility of the rabbit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home