Monday, April 09, 2007

American Gods

Before this class I wasn't aware of who most of the authors we have read were, even Mr. Gaiman. Since the start of this class and our reading of Coraline, I have become a bit of a Neil Gaiman fanatic. Last month I read Anansi Boys. Inbetween readings of Strange & Norrell I read American Gods. Good Omens as well as Fragile Things (which I am especially excited about) are both sitting on my book shelf, ready to go.

With that said, American Gods may be one of the greatest novels I have ever read, and I am sad that it is not still on the reading list (but I understand why Andy likes to mix it up every now and then.) I have never read a story that can be as hilarious as Jim Carrey or Bill Murray one minute, and as frightening and thrilling as Hannibal Lector the next. I've never gotten as mad when reading a book or watching a movie as I did at one point in this book (For those who have read the book, think laser-sighted accuracy, after which I proceded to throw my book into a wall and stomp out of my apartment), or laughed out loud so hard, or just been plain freaked out (I can never look at Lucille Ball the same way, ever again) as I was when I read this book.

I've always had a love for Mythology, and the way that Mr. Gaiman blends the Gods of different mythologies together is very well done. Anyhow, just wanted to recommend this book to everyone if you get the chance to read something new.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I'll throw my support in behind that, too. American Gods was such an awesome book, I spent the three days before I took the SAT reading it instead of studying. Anyways, good stuff.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I have read that book about half a dozen times. One of the latest elements I've gotten from it through a recent reading is that it is very much a Raymond Chandler-esque Noir story.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Nick Beadle said...

I have been thumbing through it from time to time since I bought a first edition hardcover off Amazon to replace my beat-up, lost paperback.

The first encounter with Laura continues to creep me out.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home