Wednesday, April 04, 2007

American Morons

This story sent a chill down my spine when I read it. I am one of those people that always thinks about what I would do if I was in a situation like Kellen and Jamie. I did not understand why the Italians were so hostile though, because unless I missed something American kidnappings and murders do not happen often in Western Europe (if I am mistaken please let me know), but the issue of being perceived as moronic and ignorant is very prevalent in other parts of the world, and that theme seemed to really resonate in both the main characters. Although Jamie tried to seem inspired and up to date with the world, all she really told the men was that she voted for John Kerry. That doesn't really prove anything when you think about it, conservative or liberal doesn't really translate. Of course it means that she does not support Bush, but the Italians still perceived her as an ignorant American. Kellen was the more stereotypical American in a foreign country, and that did not serve him well either.

I was wondering mostly about why they keep referring the the Italians as Romans? To me that means that the author is trying to make it seem like the characters are in a more blood thirsty and vengeful setting. I know that they were just outside of Rome and that could have been the explanation, but it seemed like the two Americans were set up against a more medieval people who were bent on revenge.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick Beadle said...

I think the point of the nomenclature is to say they've conjured up some old ways to deal with the Americans.

That said, I enjoyed this story, but I thought it waited way too long to get to the guts. The interplay between the two American kids, though, was pretty good.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this story scared me. that is all.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home