Friday, March 30, 2007

A Statement in the Case

Sorry for taking this long, all. I was unable to even touch a computer for a while there, so I will apologize once more and get on with it.

I really found A Statement in the Case to be an interesting story. I really liked how Theodora Goss worked in all the Hungarian elements in the story. The question I have for everyone to start my rather belated discussion of my story is: were there really those fantastic creatures in the cages, or were they simply, as the narrator says, visions of a drunk man? Personally, I think they were there, but I've always been a romantic like that. The second question I pose is was the fire murder. Yes, I know I've started off with the two hardest questions to answer, but I think it fair seeing as long as I took to ask them.

Thanks
Keith

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I have no doubt the creatures really exsisted in the story, and I would have to say that it was justified murder or self defense. I think its pretty obvious from Mike's defensive nature that Istvan is guilty, but guessing from her attitude and her skill at smuggling, there is no telling how badly Ildiko treated his mother, or what she used his mother's house to do. She took advantage of Istvan's well-meaning nature and made him miserable. I think she deservd what she got. Maybe the winged snakes were actually dragons and they decided to light her up, who knows.

Interestingly, Ildiko has the meaning "a fierce warrior," so she really was the complete opposite of Istvan.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I like the idea of the little creatures being dragons and taking her on themselves. "Lighting her up" as joel said..

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home