Wednesday, February 21, 2007

the scribble mind

this story, while one of the longest, was definitiely my favorite...and after finishing i was trying to figure out why i enjoyed it so much and i realized it was two main things. the suspense drew me in and made me want to figure out the mysterious "rememberers," but also i wanted to learn more about the character Esme. she was so complex and i wanted more about her identity to be revealed, and i hoped for a romance between her and the protagonist but i should have known that was too good to be true...not to say i didn't like the end. i thought it was resolved how it should have been, for all these reasons scribble mind was my fav

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

To me this was also the easiest story to read. It pulls you along all the way to the end. The fantasy element of this story was really strange though. I guess the best way I can describe it is "Ninja-like." I kinda knew it was there, but I wasn't (and I'm still not) sure where. The story is also perfectly believeable, so I guess that is also why it walks a thin fantastical line in my mind.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Yes, this was the story I was responsible for and wanted to create a post about it but I just now go the Blogger Hamster to cooperate with me. It reminded me alot of The Di Vinci Code except it didn't suck. I thought the concept of remembering back to the womb was very interesting and the whole aspect of people pursueing that sort of reminded me of the stock-broker macguffin from Pi (which I like if for no other reason than that it is a movie comprised almost entirely of macguffins). I really loved the characters, especially the singular art student who doesn't like abstraction - remind me of one of my friends at art school who disagrees with everyone.

Overall, the entire concept was very interesting, but ultimately it felt very anticlimactic. It just sort of petered out at the end. Kind of like this post.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought about the Da Vinci code too when they were talking about the golden number or whatever it was.
I liked the ending, but I didn't really understand it. If the woman had actually remembered then her daughter should be closer to her? I didn't get the connection.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found it interesting that they linked life's purpose to remembering the womb. Everyone always feels like they are missing a little something in their lives, but can't figure out what it is...maybe this is the answer. That is what I saw it as. Esme and her daughter were missing that intimate connection. Yeah...I don't know if that made any sense...

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home