Sunday, March 25, 2007

Fairytale Question...

I was wondering...and this is kind of random...but I was reading the post about women in fairytales and the comments about how fairytales are normally associated with heroines yada yada yada...and as I was pondering that point and racking my brain for fairytales about men, I came to the conclusion that I didn't exactly know what fit into the category of "fairytale." I mean, what is a fairytale? What makes a fairytale different from just fantasy or myth/legend, etc. What are y'all's thoughts?

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Well for me, "Fairytale" is the simplest form of fantasy. The characters are usually simple and pretty typical, i.e. scared princesses, talking animals, gallant princes. There is usually a moral to learn and some sort of simple plot twist. Fairy tales are to fantasy the way ghost stories are to horror.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Tiffiny Harris said...

The word fairytale always brings me to think of Disney movies which are all alike in most areas...a princess and prince finding each other in love, some goal to conquer and a lesson to be learned like Joel said.

12:02 PM  
Blogger kate said...

"fairytale" for some reason connotates a happy ending in my head. myths, fantasy, legends make me think of mystical situations that can be upsetting, disturbing, and not always pleasant in the end. a fairytale makes me think of princes and white knights and flying ponies. to me, it's just a happier word.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home